This nationally recognised qualification covers workers in a range of education and school settings who provide assistance and support to teachers to facilitate students’ learning under broad based supervision.
To gain entry in Certificate IV in Education Support the trainees require:
- To be employeed or in a volunteer capacity at least 2 days per week in directly supervised learning support roles as an education worker, home/volunteer tutor or similar role to indicate likely success at this level of qualification
- Successful completion of a qualification at Certificate III level or higher in Education Support or a related area
Valuable general knowledge on the role of an education support worker is given through the 12 compulsory units offered. Units related to specific interests/areas of employment can be chosen from the electives listed.
Is this course for you?
Are you employed as a teacher aide, tutor or support worker in an education setting?
The qualification is for a wide range of workers including:
- Teacher Aide/Education Assistants/Support Workers including working with special needs
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander education workers
- Indigenous language and culture teaching assistants
- Language and/or Literacy workers
- Home tutors
On completion you will have a greater understanding of:
- Working with diversity in the education environment
- Supporting behaviour of children and young people
- Using high level communication skills in the education workplace
- Identifying and responding to children and young people at risk
- Have the competence to perform job roles that may require a moderate level of autonomy and/or the provision of supervision/leadership to other staff.
This course is delivered on Thursday afternoons from 3.30pm – 6.30pm. The course will run from March to November 2017.
This program is funded by the Northern Territory Government.
The course fee will be determined when funding from the Commonwealth and Northern Territory Governments has been negotiated. It includes a non-refundable $220 Admin Fee which must be received before course commencement.
Units of Competency
The 12 core units and a minimum 5 electives must be completed in order to finish the course.
- CHCDIV001 –Work with diverse people
- CHCDIV002 –Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCECE006 – Support behaviour of children and young people
- CHCEDS001 – Comply with legislative, policy and industrial requirements in the education environment
- CHCEDS021 – Assist in facilitation of students
- CHCEDS022 – Work with student in need of additional support
- CHCEDS024 – Use educational strategies to support Aboriginal and/ or Torres Strait Islander educational
- CHCEDS025 – Facilitate learning for students with disabilities
- CHCEDS032 – Support learning and implementation of responsible behaviour
- CHCPRP003 –Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- CHCPRT001 – Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- HLTWHS001 – Participate in work health and safety
- CHCEDS013 –Use an e-management system
- CHCEDS019 – Support students’ mathematics learning
- CHCEDS020 – Support students’ literacy learning
- CHCEDS028 – Assist in production of language resources
- CHCLLN001 – Respond to client language, literacy and numeracy needs