Certificate II in Community Services is a nationally accredited course designed for school students who want to work in the community services or health industry. This qualification enables students to:
- provide a first point of contact in a crisis situation and referral to a broad range of services, or
- work in residential facilities and/or in community services under direct or regular supervision within clearly defined organisation guidelines and service plans.
Speak with your school VET Coordinator to complete an Expression of Interest form to enrol into this course.
Workers at this level:
- May provide assistance and support to clients accessing a service or experiencing issues such as alcohol and/or other drug issues
- Assist people in meeting their immediate needs e.g. by providing shelter and food
- Provide short-term contact with clients in a crisis situation during which time they establish a helping relationship to define the crisis and provide referral information where appropriate
- May provide ancillary services such as catering, cleaning, laundry, gardening and home maintenance
- Report directly to a supervisor and are not responsible for other workers. These positions may have direct contact with clients, identify presenting needs and refer to appropriate services and support.
- This qualification may provide an appropriate pathway into higher level qualifications, such as those in aged care, disability and home and community care.
Is this course for you?
This course is suited to students who would like to work in the community services, education or health industries.
Sectors specialise in:
- Child care
- Drug and alcohol rehabilitation
- Teacher aide
- Disability services
- Mental health
- Aged care
This course is offered over 1 year, starting early February. It is delivered during the school calendar on Tuesdays, between 8:30am and 2:30pm. Learners are expected to undertake structured workplace learning.
Units of Competency
The 5 core units and a minimum of 4 electives must be completed in order to finish the course.